qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Insert module into kernel

From: Tieu Ma Dau
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Insert module into kernel
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 01:11:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
I tried your instruction as below:
+ Download the installer Debian Sarge 3.1r0 on FreeOSZoo project: http://free.oszoo.org/download.php
+ Run the ARM simulated system with the command: " ./qemu-system-arm -kernel my_own_2.6_compiled_kernel sarge.img "
+ But I got the error:
"
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy
VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(2,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)
"
The error arrives because this installer is only used for x86, not for ARM? or because I used wrong this installer? or the installer which Paul introduced is not the Debian Sarge on FreeOSZoo prj website?
Do you have any idea?
Tieu

Paul Brook <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wednesday 12 July 2006 14:15, Tieu Ma Dau wrote:
> Hi all,
> I want to simulate the ARM system and add a simple simulated device with
> its corresponding module device driver. So:
> 1. I must run the command "insmod" to insert this module into kernel.
> But there is not this command in the ARM Linux shell
> 2. I must run the command "mknod" to make a file
> (exp: /dev/my_simulated_device) corresponding to the simulated device. But
> this command is not run because the "read only" property of file system.
> 3. I must make a small program in which I open the file by the command
> "fopen("/dev/my_simulated_device","w")" but I think that I have the problem
> as in the question 2 Do you have any idea?

None of these problems have anything to do with qemu. They are problems with
your root FS. Qemu works exactly the same way as a real Arm machine.

The arm_test image on the qemu website is a minimal cut-down test/demo system.
It is not not intended to be a full general purpose linux system. Sounds like
you need to get yourself a proper linux install. The Debian installers work
pretty much out the box.

If you already are using a different linux distro, you need to contact whoever
supplied it.

Paul