qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] problem with qemm in dos and avg antivirus in xp

From: Nigel J. Terry
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] problem with qemm in dos and avg antivirus in xp
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:34:43 -0400

I can confirm that this does happen without kqemu. However if you run kqemu, the problem goes away (and of course it runs much faster). I am running Windoze XP SP2 with AVG quite happily.

Nigel

Qemu Bugreport wrote:
Using a 0.8.0, 0.8.1, and a few days old CVS version of qemu with dos 6.22 / win 3.11 I have tried installing the qemm extended memory manager (google, second page, get qemm97) and no matter what settings I give it, when it has been installed and reboots, qemu locks up.

It says it might lock up and to reboot, which I do, and every time it moves on to the next step and locks up again. Eventually qemm thinks it has solved all of the problems and the install process finishes and it adds itself to autoexec etc, but the problem is still there. I guess this crash is not one that it expects, so is probably qemu specific. I have also had problems with programs that have built in extended memory managers (the emm seems to run, then the program claims a lack of memory).

I have also had problems with AVG antivirus (free version) in XP SP2 (with no more updates) in all versions of qemu I have tried. It normally installs fine and then crashes, and every time I reboot it crashes shortly after it starts up. It seems to be only the part that watches the memory for active viruses, but I am not 100% sure. When I tried installing it in CVS the installer crashed before it could install, but maybe that is unrelated.

Host kernel 2.6.16 with 1GB ram, I have tried giving dos/qemm 8, 16, 32, 64, and 128MB of ram, and xp/avg 128 and 256MB of ram.

I don't use software supplied as binaries, so kqemu was not used at any point in this.