qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] RE: Qemu-devel Digest, Vol 41, Issue 22

From: Schwarz, Konrad
Subject: [Qemu-devel] RE: Qemu-devel Digest, Vol 41, Issue 22
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 21:28:24 +0200

> Also note that qemu isn't even vaguely cycle accurate, and
> doesn't accurately model TLB or cache. It should be
> sufficient for most applications, but code that does sneaky
> hardware specific things (like assuming a particular TLB size
> or relying on cache/TLB lockdown for correct behavior) will break.

So what does "softmmu" actually do?  I run QEMU without turning on
virtual/physical translation, but what would happen if I did?  Would I
need to provide a page table so that QEMU will (at least on first
access) check the permission (and possibly the translation) of the
program-generated addresses?  Since you can run Linux, there must be
something, but I am very confused to what it actually is.  Any help
would be appreciated!