qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] kqemu in x86_64: (host) exception 0x0d in monitor space

From: J M Cerqueira Esteves
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] kqemu in x86_64: (host) exception 0x0d in monitor space
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:44:07 +0100

J M Cerqueira Esteves wrote:
> 64) crashes while installing a guest Debian amd64 testing (etch) system,
> with the host reporting (in kernel logs):
>   kqemu: aborting: Unexpected exception 0x0d in monitor space

However, with the same setup, and with kqemu active, I was able to
install Kubuntu 6.06 amd64, without experiencing such a crash.

Still, two issues with that Kubuntu instance:

- grub segfaulted, failing to install the boot loader on the hard disk
  image (I ended up using lilo instead);
  this also happened previously when trying to install debian
  testing  amd64 *without using kqemu* (maybe some grub bug?);

- without or without the kernel option
      clock=pit
  I got, already at boot time:

     Losing some ticks... checking if CPU frequency changed
     [...]
     warning: many lost ticks
     Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging
     interupts

  and now, about 1.5 hour after booting, the guest clock is about 1.5
  hour ahead of the host clock (maybe because the host has been idle
  and working at about 1/2 the full clock speed?) This clock shifting
  did not occur with a Windows XP Pro guest, which usually remained
  late by less than 1 minute.

Best regards
                    J Esteves

--