qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Regarding 3.11.2.6 WinXP security problem

From: Malcolm Lalkaka
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Regarding 3.11.2.6 WinXP security problem
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 04:17:33 -0000

Hello,

        I am not a developer, but I found (through experience) some information
that will most likely be useful to you. It is regarding the bug
described in section 3.11.2.6 in the QEMU User Documentation.

        I installed Windows XP Professional as the guest OS successfully, and
everything was working fine at first. But after restarting I received
the license error message (as described in section 3.11.2.6). It turns
out that this was caused by that fact that kqemu was not being used (the
module wasn't loaded after restarting). After loading the module (and
correcting the file permissions), Windows XP loaded perfectly, with no
error message. So although this is not quite a solution to the bug, it
seems that the problem lies in the QEMU Accelerator.

        I don't know if this makes a difference, but I used the Accelerator to
install Windows XP.

My computer system information is as follows.
Architecture:   i386 (Intel Pentium 4 1.6 GHz)
RAM:            512 MB (for QEMU, the default amount of memory is used)
OS:             Ubuntu Linux 5.10 "Breezy Badger"
QEMU version:   0.8.0, with KQEMU; compiled with gcc 3.4.5 20050809

If you need any more information, feel free to e-mail me.
By the way, thank you for developing such a fine piece of software.

I hope this helps solve the bug,
Malcolm