qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Dynamic compiler future (was Re: X86_64 (AMD64) build segfa

From: Antti P Miettinen
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Dynamic compiler future (was Re: X86_64 (AMD64) build segfaults)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:15:21 -0000

Still going through the gmane archive - sorry for digging old stuff,
but.. :-)

Paul Brook <address@hidden> writes:
> IMHO the way forward long-term is to implement some sort of code
> generation in qemu. By this I mean incorporating some sort of
> compiler backend/optimizing assembler into qemu, not just writing
> op.c in assembly. Obviously this is a large chunk of work.

Has LLVM been considered for this? I do not have practical experience
about LLVM but in principle the LLVM code generation library offers an
optimizing runtime compiler. In order to use LLVM the disas functions
would need to use the LLVM C++ API instead of generating the QEMU ops.
Hmm.. how about exceptions and having the memory access semantics of
the emulated system? LLVM probably is not aimed at supporting this
kind of things..

How about making GCC support runtime code generation? Some kind of
binary macros :-)

--
http://www.iki.fi/~ananaza/