qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Data corruption when running cvs in an emulated FreeBSD 4.1

From: Staffan Ohman
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Data corruption when running cvs in an emulated FreeBSD 4.11
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:04:48 -0000

Hi, I'm running FreeBSD 4.11 in qemu on a RHEL 4 U3 host, the version of qemu is
0.8.1. The FreeBSD system seems to run smoothly except for one little thing:
I have a cvs repository in the emulated system and whenever I do a cvs checkout
(using cvs version 1.11.17) some of the files get corrupted. There are not many
places where it happens but it seems to be reproducible, the end result always
seems to be the same.I've only found 3 places where it happens so far but they
are all of the form:byte N missing, byte N+2 duplicated. At this point I'm
sure you're thinking there has to be some problem with my cvs installation
and not qemu (I sure did). However, I copied the disc image of the FreeBSD
system
onto a real hard drive, installed it in a real pc and booted up. When the system
is running on real hardware the errors during cvs checkout no longer occur.
I'd like to post the stuff I have in the repository so someone else could
reproduce the fault but unfortunately I'm not allowed to do that. I'll create a
repository with junk data instead and see if I can see the same effect there...

-Staffan Öhman