qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virtual FTP/WebDAV (was: windows xp under pclinuxos 200

From: Jan Marten Simons
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virtual FTP/WebDAV (was: windows xp under pclinuxos 2005)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 20:17:29 +0200

Hi Rene,

Your HowTo is quite nice and might be enough for most users, but it depends on modifying the host-system, which needs admin/root privileges. An internal virtual FTP server which serves a directory of the host might be slower, but it would not need any changes on the host side. (Think about portable OS in qemu on USB/Flash-Media, which could easily export e.g. C:\Xchange or ~/xchange into a virtual FTP/WebDAV, which can be used for fileexchange from allmost any guest.) That way you can build a very portable sandbox, which can be run from various host systems.

With regards,
Jan

Rene Horn wrote:
I wrote up a howto on this:
http://qemu.dad-answers.com/viewtopic.php?t=1963

I'm not sure if that will provide exactly what the OP was looking for, but it should be a step in the right direction.

Rene

    I was asking for an integrated virtual FTP server (about 14 months
    ago).
    But so far nobody came up with a patch to do this.
    Here's the original eMail:
    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2005-06/msg00025.html

    It spawned a quite big thread thread back then
    (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2005-06/threads.html#00025
    <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2005-06/threads.html#00025>).
    I'd still like to see this feature in qemu, as it would be very useful
    in my opinion.

    With regards,
    Jan