qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] windows xp under pclinuxos 2005

From: Jan Marten Simons
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] windows xp under pclinuxos 2005
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:21:35 +0200

Fabrice Bellard wrote:
Jan Marten Simons wrote:

I was asking for an integrated virtual FTP server (about 14 months ago). [snipped]

My preference would be for an SMB server or NFS server fully integrated in slirp.

A fully integrated NFS server would be quite simple to implement but it would not easily work with windows guests.

At first glance, by looking at the smbfs code in the Linux kernel, an SMB server compatible with Linux guests would be as easy to write as an NFS server. But being compatible with Windows guests would be more difficult and might lead to a rewrite of Samba !

Regards,

Fabrice.

I'm still thinking FTP would be a useful alternative as it's more low-level. There is hardly any OS with network capabilities with no FTP client availiable. Then the FTP server in qemu would only need to support a very basic set of features (no need for user management, either passive or active mode depending on what's easier to implement). Such a tiny server (I expect about 3k of source code) would not bloat qemu as much as reimplementing samba inside. So I think that internal SMB and NFS servers are another nice idea but FTP is still the most common protocol (esp. for 'weird' guests).

With regards,
Jan