qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Best way to get real performance info?

From: andrzej zaborowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Best way to get real performance info?
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:37:30 +0200

On 06/09/06, Alessandro Corradi <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi all,
I need to measure the performance of a host OS, a guest OS with and without
kqemu.
I particular I need to have performance info about CPU. I made a simple C
program that makes only arithmetical operations and long cycles.
I run "time ./myapp" but the results are not the real ones. Can someone tell
me how to get this measures?

Hi,

I don't know about real benchmarking but one improvement I can think
of is measure the times on host, with something like the following:

address@hidden $ nc -l 10000; time nc -l 10000

and

address@hidden $ nc host_ip_here 10000 <<< started; ./myapp; nc
host_ip_here 10000 <<< finished

(nc is netcat)
It's still very inaccurate but the error is small if ./myapp takes
long. Perhaps someone will have better ideas.

Thanks

Ale