qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] relative time

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: [Qemu-devel] relative time
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 20:36:51 +0200

Hello qemu developers,

I've been unable to find information about date and time in qemu. Two questions the simpler one:

Can I set the date and time of the system clock at start of the emulation (or in the manager console)? I've seen a patch [1], but that doesn't seem to be included in my build (from debian sid):

Now the more complex one: I would like to do 'relative benchmarks', i.e. comparing one product to another. I don't mind very much how fast my machines are, but I want them to be equally fast, even if I use two, three or ten of those on my machine.

Therefore I would like to limit CPU time. Say limiting it to virtually 1 MHz. Optionally one could even take into account processor caches...

As some of the benchmarks I would like to run are harddrive dependant, could one limit their speed? Try simulating harddisk head positions and rotation?

Limiting the network speed can be done quite accurately with Linux on tap devices I don't know about latency, though.

All in all: I would like to simulate a system which is exactly (or quite close to) a 100 times slower than a given real one.

Has anybody tried (or requested) something like that already? How difficult would it be to teach qemu to 'slow down'? How accurate could such a slow down be?

Regards

Markus

[1]: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-01/msg00128.html