qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ARM CPU Speed simulated by Qemu?

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ARM CPU Speed simulated by Qemu?
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:34:27 +0100

> How much do misses on the branch prediction level cost? How much
> pipeline interlocks? I don't think those would be _that_ dramatic. Since
> today's compilers are said to be optimizing quite well...

It all depends on the code you're running. Certainly branch prediction can
have a major effect if the hardware consistently gets it wrong. Even arm
hardware has 5/7 stage pipelines that need flushing on a mispredict.

Pipeline interlocks are likely to be relatively small, for most Arm hardware
at least (ia64 is a completely different story :-). As a compiler author I'd
generally expect a few % performance improvement from a good scheduling
model.

I wouldn't assuming the compiler gets everything right, as it's quite common
for systems to be built for the lowest common denominator target.

Paul