qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Poor Qemu documentation for Windows host

From: Alexey Eremenko
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Poor Qemu documentation for Windows host
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:17:05 +0200

See also:
http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/ (Documentation section below)

Thank you very much.

I have found something useful: TAP for Windows - that is - virtual
ethernet network driver for Win NT based systems.

So basically only those docs were relevant:
http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/TapWin32-en.html
http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/HowToNetwork-en.html

But unfortunately, it comes separately from Qemu package, inside
"OpenVPN" software.

So my recommendation is to:
1) "get" the TAP driver out of "OpenVPN" package, and
2) put it into Qemu setup, and
3) update user docs with that.

I dunno if I will succeed in getting the driver out of OpenVPN, it
really depends how far it integrates into Windows... especially if it
integrates very deeply into registry this will be mission-impossible.

But if it's just few files, then it's doable.

alternatively it is possible to just:
1) update the docs,

that will say it is included in different package. But while this is
accpetable practise in the Linux world, (to have dependencies) this is
unacceptable behavior in Windows world. (in Windows, the standard is
to have the package be dependent only on the OS itself, and all else
dependencies must come in the setup)

Maybe you like to check if QEMU Wiki
http://kidsquid.com/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/QemuOnWindows

I have checked this wiki - this stuff is really nooby, so there was
really nothing new compared to the "Official End-User documentation of
Qemu".

Bottom line:

if I succeed in case one, this would be best, otherwise (in case 2)
it's not-so-good, but better than having poor docs as we have now.