qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Audio output for CS4231, patch/RFC

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Audio output for CS4231, patch/RFC
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 21:14:03 +0200

One comment: you could move the DMA related functions and registers to sparc32_dma.c because it seems reasonnable that the DMA stuff was really implemented outside of the cs4231 chip (I believe the same chip was used in some PC cards with an ISA based DMA).

I had thought about that, but the CS and DMA registers are located in nearby addresses. Cleanest solution from the driver point of view would be that Qemu handled the case correctly where several drivers register non-overlapping memory areas of less than one page size within the same page. That way the DMA controller could reside in sparc32_dma.c and not know anything about CS registers and vice versa.

Looks like the PC cards were called Windows Sound System compatible and there were several manufacturers in the early '90s.