qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RAM overcomittment

From: The MoonSeeker
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RAM overcomittment
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 00:53:53 +0200

Le 28 sept. 06 à 00:19, Paul Brook a écrit :

For my diploma project, I have to create a network simulator but with

these limitation I can't use qemu. Because if would like to simulate

20 workstions I need 20 X 128 MB = 2560 MB of RAM... + host RAM!!!

But in the simulation, the VM's never will use all of ressource..

Just add a few Gb swap. Even the oldest of machines shouldn't have any problem

adding say 4Gb swap. Depending on your OS settings you may not even need to

do that.

Besides which modern entry-level PCs should be able to take 2Gb ram without

significant problems. Workstations with 8Gb aren't that hard to come by.

If we have enough swap memory, You are saying that is possible to run 20 MV's with option -M equal 128MB?

For example the VM's (20) normally use 20MB and I have 512Mb of RAM on my workstation, what's about the performance?

RAM used = 20X20MB + 112MB for host = 512MB nothing is swap???

Thank you