qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu/target-i386 helper.c

From: Juergen Keil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu/target-i386 helper.c
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 11:37:39 +0200 (CEST)

> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Fabrice Bellard wrote:
>
> > Log message:
> >     32 bit RSP update fix (aka Open Solaris x86_64 bug)
>
> I've been getting the following errors the last while.
>
> Very early in kernel init:
>
>     WARNING: failed to program IO space [0/3/0] address@hidden length 0x100

I've not yet seen this.  A quick look at the source...

http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/on/usr/src/uts/i86pc/io/pci/pci_boot.c#12
41

... seems to indicate that it is trying to find an unused portion
of 256 bytes of I/O space (for the NIC (?) at pci bus/device/func 0/3/0,
according to the command "info pci" in qemu's monitor), and has failed.

> Later:
>
>     WARNING: Time of Day clock error: reason [Stalled]. -- Stopped tracking
Time of  Day clock

I also get this warning from time to time.  Sometimes the reason is
that clock is "stalled", sometimes it has "skipped".  It seems to be a
harmless warning, though.

> Solaris then reboots itself before (AIUI) starting userspace.

Try to boot with the kernel debugger enabled, so that you can read
the panic message (I guess it reboots because of a panic).
In the GRUB boot menu, type "e" twice to edit the boot commands,
and add options "-kv" at the end of the "kernel" command line.
<RETURN> and "b" boots with the kernel debugger and verbose kernel
messages enabled.

> This is with SNV_46 and with a fresh Qemu from CVS about 30 minutes
> ago.

Is that the host OS or the guest OS?

Are you running qemu or qemu-system-x86_64?

With or without kqemu?

Are you trying to install open solaris, or are you trying to boot from an
installed qemu hdd image?