qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Brad Cambell's -no-reboot patch.

From: Luke Crawford
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Brad Cambell's -no-reboot patch.
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 12:08:48 -0700 (PDT)

I have a client that has an existing systemimager infrastructure management system; I am helping them virtualize their computer systems using Xen. The version of systemimager they use uses a heavily modified 2.4 linux kernel on a floppy to boot new computers. I set them up with QEMU to do the same thing from the dom0 to install domUs. (that is, they run qemu in the master (driver) domain, and it installs into the unprivileged domain, or the virtual server) The problem is that once the install finishes, the system reboots; the idea being that with the floppy, you boot and then take the floppy out, and the system reboots into the installed system. With qemu, this just infinitely loops. (I'm sure this could be fixed in systemimager, but frankly I am more comfortable playing with qemu than with systemimager.)

Anyhow, I did some googling, and found Brad Cambell's -no-reboot patch, and it solves the problem nicely.

the patch applies cleanly to the current stable qemu release, but it sure would be nice if it were included in the base qemu distribution; most of my clients are a little uncomfortable compiling their own software, and patch is right out.

What needs to happen to get this patch committed? I'd be willing to spend some time on it if required.