qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] qemu-gui based on wxWidgets and libvncclient

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] qemu-gui based on wxWidgets and libvncclient
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:06:28 -0500

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Fabrice Bellard wrote:

Another point is that you should consider adding audio support. I can help you on that (maybe malc would be interested too !). A simple format could be 4 bit ADPCM at fixed frequency. Optionally A more advanced codec such as Vorbis could be used.

Please, please not _another_ vnc hack! The RFB protocol loses all of its appeal if everybody has proprietary, incompatible extensions! If you bother to search Google for prior art, here is a link:

http://www.ks.uni-freiburg.de/php_arbeitdet.php?id=75

Yes, it is in German, but it already works. No need to add yet another obscure extension.

My German is not very good, but from what I was able to read, it seems like they are just using VNC to transmit the port information for doing esd forwarding. Presumably this saved a lot of work because no server side code was needed.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Ciao,
Dscho