qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] qemu-gui based on wxWidgets and libvncclient

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] qemu-gui based on wxWidgets and libvncclient
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:29:56 -0500

Fabrice Bellard wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:

I have no experience with libvncclient. I think the general idea of using VNC to create an external QEMU GUI is a good one. Previously, I had posted some patches for a shmem GUI that used a custom control channel. After hacking on that for a little bit based on some feedback, I've come full circle and am now under the view that extending VNC is a better long term approach.

So, I've reserved some pseudo-encodings and a client message type and am now working on some VNC extensions to enable better QEMU integration.

My current client code is available at:

http://hg.codemonkey.ws/vnc-gui/

The VNC extensions are still a work in progress but documentation is here:

http://tocm.wikidot.com/vncextensions

I think this is a good idea. First one detail: for Pointertypechange, it would be better to use the value 32768 as 0 instead of 32767 or to use a 16 bit two complement value.

Changing the U16's to S16's is a really good idea.  I'll make the change.

Another point is that you should consider adding audio support. I can help you on that (maybe malc would be interested too !). A simple format could be 4 bit ADPCM at fixed frequency. Optionally A more advanced codec such as Vorbis could be used.

I know very little about audio so help would be appreciated.  I
currently have 16 pseudo-encodings and a client/server message reserved
so we have ample room to extend VNC.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Regards,