qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu vs gcc4

From: K. Richard Pixley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu vs gcc4
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:04:24 -0700

Paul Brook wrote:
Better to just teach qemu how to generate code.
In fact I've already done most of the infrastructure (and a fair amount of the legwork) for this. The only major missing function is code to do softmmu load/store ops.
https://nowt.dyndns.org/
Well, perhaps. Except that with gcc, we get to leverage the ongoing gcc optimizations, bug fixes, new cpu support, debugger support, etc. Granted, not all of these are going to be relevant to the qemu environment, but in a contest between gcc generated code and qemu generated code, I'll bet on gcc most days.

No doubt there are times when a gcc optimization takes so long that it costs more time to optimize than would be won back by the running code. Presumably, qemu generated code would be able to make better decisions here. Except that we're not talking about using gcc in real time, are we? So essentially we have near infinite time for optimizations.

--rich