qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu vs gcc4

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu vs gcc4
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:08:23 -0400

On Sunday 22 October 2006 9:45 pm, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> > I was pondered trying to get tcc to build qemu,
>
> (since tcc only supports x86 targets, this is not really a solution.)

No, it supports arm as well.  (And I merged a recent patch to support arm
EABI.)  I remember hearing about a PPC patch (although I never tracked that
down), and I was looking into what I needed to do to make it support x86-64.

> > and even made a mercurial copy [...] But Fabrice showed back up on
> > tuesday and checked in a patch, and now I've got a fork that's out of
> > sync with mainline.
>
> I do not really know Mercurial, but it should make it really easy to merge
> two branches (as far as I have been told).

That's the general idea, yes.  (In this case what was merged is a reworking of
a patch I already merged, which I could essentially ignore for now.)  The
problem is at a higher level: I'd created a fork based of a project that
looked abandoned, but it turned out not to be abandoned, so the fork looks
like a bad idea in retrospect.  *shrug*  No shortage of other projects to
work on.  (Like QEMU: I still haven't managed to install the x86_64 version
of ubuntu.  An older version hung when it got to the desktop, in last week's
version I couldn't even get the bios to bring up grub.  Need to thump on it
again, but I'm not quite sure how to debug this.)

Rob
--
"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery