qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] config file support

From: Ben Taylor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] config file support
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:25:12 -0400

---- "K. Richard Pixley" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 October 2006 2:42 pm, Chuck Brazie wrote:
> >
> >> Is there any work going on now to add config file support?
> >>
> >> Chuck Brazie
> >> address@hidden
> >>
> > As a random end-user, I really like being able to run qemu without a config
> > file, configuring it entirely on the command line.  I'd be highly
> > disappointed if qemu turned into another Wine.
> Except that I never do.  Instead, I write a trivial shell script since I
> can never remember the command line options, much less type them in
> consistently.
>
> What's the difference between a shell script to cover qemu and a
> #!/bin/qemu config file?  Seems to me they both address roughly the same
> issues with roughly the same considerations.  Am I missing any
> significant functionality differences?

There are probably no functional differences.  A shell script with a config
file (which is how I wrote one 18 months ago) should be able to handle
almost any kind of config, without adding to code bloat to qemu.

The script I wrote is probably horribly out of date, and has some holes
(and probably some logic flaws yet unfound), but for the most part
replicated most of the things I wanted to do (networking, tun/tap or
redirs, samba etc ) without having to type  command lines in excess of 200
characters.  Given that I had probably 8-10 qemu guest systems, it was
a huge time saver when it came to starting up a brand new guest.

Ben