qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] proprietary MIPS based ASIC

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] proprietary MIPS based ASIC
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:28:13 -0400

On Thursday 26 October 2006 8:31 am, Paul Brook wrote:
> > How hard it is going to be to emulate
> > full system like this ? Any examples/tutorials where to start ? Any
> > experience of porting QEMU to other platforms ? Let's say MIPS+DDR+simple
> > interrupt controller and no other peripherals
>
> I suggest you look at the existing targets. e.g. the existing mips and ARM
> targets. IMHO it's not that hard to add new boards.

The tech docs at http://www.qemu.org/user-doc.html could really use some more
information on this area.

The "hw" directory contains both definitions of individual pieces of hardware
(such as i8259.or ide.c) and motherboards that integrate lots of pieces of
hardware together (pc.c or integratorcp.c).  They're treated as
interchangeable, both of them are initialized with a function ending
in "_init", and there's no easy way to distinguish between them except by
inspection.  (I could easily be wrong about this, but if so I haven't found
the pattern or documentation yet.)

Rob
--
"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery