qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Debugging with paging enabled

From: andrzej zaborowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Debugging with paging enabled
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:14:12 +0000

On 08/11/06, Marcel Kilgus <address@hidden> wrote:
> Correct.  It doesn't know anything at all about i386 segmentation.

Well, that explains it then, I guess. In that case I don't really see
a clean solution for it.

If I understand the problem, the clean solution is having the
debugging symbols at the right addresses: in code that runs with
paging enabled symbols should be at their virtual addresses and the
other symbols at physical addresses. Since the period from start to
enabling paging is usually short, I think most kernels generate only
virtual addresses for the symbols. I don't remember the ld option to
move text-base to the right address but see Linux. GDB works perfectly
for it. It doesn't need to know about segmentation if your symbols are
correct.
--
balrog 2oo6