qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Debugging with paging enabled

From: Marcel Kilgus
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Debugging with paging enabled
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 20:01:54 +0100

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> I'd recommend the even simpler hack of having qemu report a PC that
> included the segment base :-)

Probably sounds easier than it is, as seen the serial protocol doesn't
include the PC when a breakpoint fires. qemu would have to
intentionally report a wrong EIP the next time GDB requests the
complete register set and the consequences of that I don't even want
to imagine (what if it writes that set of registers back?).

Or do you mean that qemu should always and in all situations report an
adjusted EIP to GDB and re-adjust all EIPs it gets? Interesting idea,
but I guess that too would lead to dozens of other problems.

All the best, Marcel