qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] -snapshot and tmpsfs

From: Ottavio Caruso
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] -snapshot and tmpsfs
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 04:25:58 -0800 (PST)

> From: Michael McConnell
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2006, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
>
> > Are the writes to tmpfs (in a *nix guest OS) recorded to the
> > snapshotted image?
> >
> > Example: /var/run on tmpfs
> > OS writes to /var/run. Bigger temp file or not?
>
> This isn't a guaranteed certain answer, but IIRC tmpfs uses system
> RAM and
> swap as its storage.  Therefore a guest writing into its tmpfs
> space would
> only touch the host filesystem if it were to use the swapfile.
>
> As you say you're using the snapshot mode it would, if the swapfile
> is
> touched, go into the snapshot temp file, otherwise it wouldn't.
>
> -- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
>    Eridani Star System

As my guest OS (Debian) was filling /var/cache/apt/* with MB's of
stuff, I have modified /etc/fstab and mounted all /var/cache/apt and
children directories on tmpfs, then I have installed/uninstalled a
few packages. I have compared the size of the temp snapshot file with
the one generated before  and I have found no differences.
I wonder if that means something.

Ottavio Caruso

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
$310k for $999/mo. Calculate new payment!
www.LowerMyBills.com/lre