qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] need advice on PCI board emulation

From: jerome Arbez-Gindre
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] need advice on PCI board emulation
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 18:06:19 +0100

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 15:22 +0000, Paul Brook wrote:
> > I'm working on a modem PCI board emulation inside Qemu.
>
> I misread "modem PCI board" as "modern PCI board" in your original post. The
> correct response is much shorter:

I've replied to your former message before reading this one, sorry !

> >  - to emulate demodulated incoming data, I launch one thread waiting
> > with blocking reads on a UDP socket.
>
> You should use the existing serial devices.

I need demodulated data in my board emulation.
The aim of my project is to emulate a PCI board which does not exist at
this time, to help working on the driver.
I hope it will just work when i'll receive the first real board
prototype.

> > So, my question is :
> >     Is it reasonable to use threads to emulate parallel behaviors ?
>
> No. You should copy how the existing devices (eg. serial ports) work.

As said, in my previsous message, I'll go deeper in the read of Qemu
sources.

> You don't need parallel operation. Modems are low-bandwith devices, so you're
> not going to get any performance benefit from using multiple threads.

The modem should handle 30 Mb/s.
I'm looking for realistic behaviour, performances is not a priority

Jérôme