qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu speed vs vmplayer?

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu speed vs vmplayer?
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 05:27:06 +0000

Paul Brook wrote:
> > OK, so mmap is not the way to increase some speed.  What needs to be
> > done to provide a higher Qemu+KQEMU performance, comparable to
> > VMPlayer?  How does VMPlayer manage to be so much faster than Qemu?  Is
> > this simply an I/O bottleneck?  How would I go about finding out what
> > the differences are and how we can improve Qemu+KQEMU performance?
>
> A copy of the kqemu source would be a good start.

As would reading VMware peoples' publications on the tricks they've
used.  I'm thinking of a paper which compares VMware's performance on
hardware VM (newer Intel/AMD) versus software VM, and finds software
is actually faster in many cases.  It happens to mention in passing a
lot of tricks used by VMware.

-- Jamie