qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Question/problems with Qemu and 64Bit Opensuse 10.2

From: Werner Dittmann
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Question/problems with Qemu and 64Bit Opensuse 10.2
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 17:24:20 +0100

All,

currently I'm trying to install an Opensuse 10.2 64Bit version in Qemu.

Using a plain 0.82 didn't work out, after the Install screen Qemu goes
in a loop. I've tried several parameters (witout net, ACPI, kqemu, etc).
I could not even stop Qemu but had to use kill -9 .
Because of some mail in the list that reported similar errors I
downloaded the latest CVS version and built it using a gcc 3.3.

That didn't solve the problem: It seems to be in a loop but I can close
the qemu window and the window also grabs the mouse cursor (that was not
the case  with the 0.8.2 version).

After loading the kernel I get the following message on the console
(only in VESA mode):

"
Decompressing Linux ... done.
Booting the kernel.
"

and at the bottom of the console screen the message (without the qutes):

"kernel direct mapping tables up to 100000000 @ 8000-d000"

I tried to switch on some -d but I don't know which one is relevant
here. I tried "-d int" but this produced about 90MB log data in just
some seconds.

Which info do you need to get down to the problem? What can I try to
tackle the problem?

Regards,
Werner

PS: Because I'm somewhat experienced with security software I would ask
if there is any interest to have a TPM module (Software based TPM) for
Qemu that looks like a real HW TPM according the the TPM specs? If yes I
would start to look how to do it for Qemu. There is a software based TPM
avaliable with a GPL licence. The "only thing" to do would be to wrap it
with the HW interface functions (it's a memory mapped interface) so that
standard drivers would see it as standard TPM module.

Werner