qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] boot a preinstalled winxp on linux/x86: writing a patch

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] boot a preinstalled winxp on linux/x86: writing a patch...
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 11:09:28 +0100

Hi,

booting a preinstalled winxp fails because Windows XP
crashs (sometimes you will see a bluescreen) and starts
a reboot. It won't fail if the real hardware and
QEMU's virtual hardware are nearly identical.
Especially the chipset seams to be critical.

/dev/hda1 is the first partition which is part of
/dev/hda (whole disk), so there are no patches which
can fix anything in QEMU here.

You might extend QEMU to emulate your computer's
hardware - then XP would run. But this is a lot of work...

Regards
Stefan