qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] win98 slow with kqemu

From: Dan Sandberg
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] win98 slow with kqemu
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 13:54:50 +0100

I have noticed the same thing.

Could it be that todays processors are simply very bad at running 16-bit code (that the pipeline has to be reloaded for each instruction or something similar)? If this is the case there is probably nothing else to do than avoiding kqemu with 16-bit OS:s.

On the other hand, if for instance VMware is able to run Windows 98 much faster (I do not have it so I can't test this) then my guess is that kqemu is the guilty part and does something wrong with 16-bit code.

Regards
Dan Sandberg

Mikhail Ramendik wrote:

Hello,

Some time ago I reported win98 slowness with kqemu, see http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-05/msg00295.html

I have tried again, this time on a Pentium 4 (Prescott) 3 GHz system, with Debian sarge and backports.org 2.6.18 kernel; qemu 0.8.2 and kqemu 1.3.0pre9 are locally compiled, not packaged.

Still I see visible slowness with win98 guest and kqemu; it is slower than win98 guest without kqemu. The amnhld.vxd idlesness driver is installed.

The problem is mentioned in forums periodically, i.e. the last reply in http://qemu-forum.ipi.fi/viewtopic.php?t=2015 .

I would really like to have this fixed; I am somewhat experienced and will do what is needed for testing etc. I would try some CPU "mark" tests for a more objective check - but which of them will work without DirectX?