qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Problem with threads in Scratchbox with Qemu for ARM

From: Stephane Epardaud
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Problem with threads in Scratchbox with Qemu for ARM
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 14:39:16 +0100

Hello,

I'm trying the Scratchbox/Maemo devkit for the Nokia770/N800 ARM device, and I'm having a problem running a multi-threaded program under application Qemu ARM emulation on my x86 linux box. The application I'm trying to run is the Boehm GC, which seems to run fine on the N770 device, but fails to work on that scratchbox/qemu ARM emulation.
The application is available here:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/gc_source/gc7.0alpha7.tar.gz
In order to make it work on scratchbox/maemo you have to change the line 1729 of include/private/gcconfig.h from:
#       define LINUX_STACKBOTTOM
to:
#       define HEURISTIC2

For a real ARM the original file should work.

To reproduce the problem:
./configure
make
make gctest
./gctest

This deadlocks and strace hints that signals sent by pthreads are delivered to the wrong threads. We've discussed this already on the GC mailing list there:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.garbage-collection.boehmgc/1556

Does anyone know of known problems under Qemu for ARM and pthreads ?
Or any way I could verify that it's really Qemu's fault ?
Thanks.