qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Time complexity for self-modifying code

From: Michael Gagnon
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Time complexity for self-modifying code
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:01:57 -0500

Hello. I'm a student at George Mason University and I had a question regarding the time complexity of QEMU's algorithm for dealing with self-modifying code. From looking at the QEMU Internals documentation (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-tech.html), it seems that QEMU's method for handling self-modifying code might have different algorithmic efficiency classes for it's average case and worst case. As in, on average I assume that QEMU emulates instructions at O(n) efficiency. In the worst-case, might self-modifying code change the efficiency of QEMU to another order of efficiency, such as O(n^2)? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mike Gagnon
http://www.mikegagnon.com