qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Two quick requests.

From: Jan Marten Simons
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Two quick requests.
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:17:42 +0100

Rob Landley schrieb:
On Friday 09 February 2007 6:06 pm, Paul Brook wrote:
Sure, but there are plenty of other ways to accidentally mess up the
permissions of a disk image file. A while back I had to strace qemu to
figure out why file modifications were vanishing after rebooting the
VM; the culprit turned out to be an unrelated script that had set the
image file's mode to 444.
If you really want to do this, do it properly. Make it an error to use a ro image if the user [implicitly] requests rw access.

If there's no middle ground between "silently misbehave" and "refuse to start if anything _might_ be wrong", then why does current qemu warn about the 1024 hz thing?

Just curious. Refusing to start would have saved me a day's debugging time, just like the warning would have...

Rob
I think adding a simple (suppressable) warning on startup would be sufficient in case of a ro image.

Jan