qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Counting Instructions and Looking for Conditional Branches

From: Shane Brennan
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Counting Instructions and Looking for Conditional Branches
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 18:07:59 -0800

I am wondering if anyone knows where in the QEMU source code I can create a counter to count the number of executed instructions? In addition, where I can place an IF statement to see if a conditional branch instruction is about to execute.

I need to do this to create a basic block vector for SimPoint. I have found that the function cpu-exec in cpu-exec.c is probably going to be involved, but I would appreciate any help in narrowing things down. Basically, all I need to do is at every instruction I increase a counter. Then, I see if that instruction is a conditional branch. If it is, I print some characters to a file, and reset the counter. I would greatly appreciate any help.

~Shane