qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU: VNC

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU: VNC
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:53:15 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Christopher Olsen wrote:

> I've done some further thought and investigation and as far as using
> QEMU inside a Unix environment, I see no reason as to why the
> authentication couldn't be tied into PAM...

Because this is supposed to be a standard protocol, meant for widespread
use, not just on Unix.

I see many developments in the VNC protocol lately, which only target one
special use case. Which is quite sad, because I think that with just a
little more thought the results would be so much more useful for others,
too.

See for example the inbuilt VNC server in QEmu. It does not exchange any
code with any other VNC implementation. So, every improvement in this or
that implementation is lost on all the others. Like I said, sad.

Ciao,
Dscho