qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to get 1280x1024 display from guest running Xorg?

From: Ben Taylor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to get 1280x1024 display from guest running Xorg?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 11:05:05 -0500

---- Robin Atwood <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 Feb 2007, Julian Seward wrote:
> > (replying off list)
> >
> > So you have Solaris 10 (x86 ?) running on qemu-0.9 ?  Is it stable?
> > Does it work?  I have it running on vmware-5.5.3 but would prefer to
> > move to running it on qemu if possible; however I've had mixed
> > results with qemu in the past and don't want to spend loads of time
> > on failed attempts to get it to work.  Hence the question.
>
> It was a great battle to install but now it is stable. Do the following
> things:
> 1. install from the DVD image
> 2. Use the text console install
> 3. At the end of the install, backup the image file *before* the first reboot

This is a good recommendation for any install.  I know I must have
4-5 copies of my working Win98SE and WinXPHome images.

> 4. If during the first boot of the image, you get a segfault, restore  and
> try
> again until you get to a prompt. Ignore any service failures. (the filesystem
> seems prone corruption at the first boot.)

How much memory are you giving the virtual machine.  Solaris 10 really
needs 384MB and more like 512 for S10U3 to run reasonably.

> 5. If you have problems caused by damaged files, re-install choosing
> the "Update" option: this will restore the damaged files.

That really sounds like a problem with the checksum of the DVD
iso or a bad DVD burn.  I must have burned 4-5 copies of S10U3 this
weekend and finally got a DVD-RW to work with no errors after
writing it on one machine, pulling the DVD writer and putting on
the machine to install.

> After that, I was able to boot reliably into X. However, the filesystem seems
> very fragile if not shut down cleanly, so take regular backups!

That's very odd.  Solaris's UFS is a very stable file system.

I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes.

Ben