qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] make install qemu-system-x86

From: Rob Landley
Subject: [Qemu-devel] make install qemu-system-x86
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:23:52 -0500

Could make install do a "qemu-system-x86" and then symlink the "qemu" name to
whatever the host platform happens to be?  (So if you build qemu on x86-64
then qemu points to "qemu-system-x86_64"?  Or if you build the sucker on a
PPC system...)

The relevant code seems to be is in Makefile.target, line 50 or so:

  # system emulator name
  ifdef CONFIG_SOFTMMU
  ifeq ($(TARGET_ARCH), i386)
  QEMU_SYSTEM=qemu$(EXESUF)
  else
  QEMU_SYSTEM=qemu-system-$(TARGET_ARCH2)$(EXESUF)
  endif
  else
  QEMU_SYSTEM=qemu-fast
  endif

And I have no idea what "qemu-fast" is so I'm keeping my hands off.
(Something to do with kqemu?)

I previously thought it was special casing whatever the host platform is, but
I see it's currently special casing i386 specifically.

Rob

P.S.  I think the new link to be called "qemu-system-x86" rather
than "qemu-system-i386" since i386 is a specific model of x86 processor and
we haven't got qemu-system-armv4 and qemu-system-armv5, although if somebody
wanted to make a way to specify that I'd be pretty happy.  (Periodically the
question comes up "how do I do a 586 build" and although it's easy enough to
cross-compile for that, it's hard to come up with a test environment without
plugging in actual hardware.  "It runs on my laptop" is no guarantee, my
laptop's a Pentium M...)  However, I realize there's currently a "qemu-i386"
in user emulation...
--
"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery