qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QCOW image corruption under QEMU 0.9.0

From: J M Cerqueira Esteves
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QCOW image corruption under QEMU 0.9.0
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 02:55:19 +0000

J M Cerqueira Esteves wrote:
> After shutting down the guest, I inspected its image files with
> qemu-info, which reported for hda
>
> image: nisaba.hda.qcow
> file format: raw
> virtual size: 4.3G (4596273152 bytes)
> disk size: 4.3G
>
> but hda was supposed to have a virtual size of approximately 20 GB,
> QCOW2 format and a saved snapshot...

And now I got another corrupted image:

This time, after installing some packages in a similar Debian guest,
the system froze while shutting down (using 100% CPU on host).
I then noticed that its supposed QCOW2 image file (a 20 GB virtual disk,
in a by then more than 4GB file) was no longer considered to be a QCOW2
image, as above.

Curiously this damaged image file has 4543348736 bytes.
I wonder if there some new bug triggered by the image file size,
for some size around 4500000000 bytes...

Fortunately this time I have a backup copy of the virtual disk state
just before it was corrupted.  I'll try to see what happens if I convert
it from qcow2 to qcow before proceeding.  Any suggestions?

Best regards
                               J Esteves