qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] armv6 support

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] armv6 support
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:13:22 +0000

> > I already have ARMv6 and ARMv7 implemented, but am unable to
> > release the code.
> > See:
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-03/msg00202.html
> >
> > We (CodeSourcery) are negotiating with ARM to have this
> > restriction lifted, but it's slow going.
> >
> > If you want to see ARMv6 support in QEMU please contact ARM
> > directly and encourage them to sort the legal issues out.
> >
> Would you be able to share the code with someone that has an appropriate
> license with ARM?

No. Section 7 of the GPL says that the code must be freely[1] redistributeable
or not distributed at all.

Even if this were not the case I would be extremely reluctant to do this. It
would effectively mean that you would be able to distribute an armv6 qemu but
we would not (because you have braver lawers than we do).

Paul

[1] freely = to any third party under the terms of the GPL.