qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU/pc and scsi disks

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU/pc and scsi disks
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 17:38:22 -0600

Avi Kivity wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:

I think most people agree that we need a config file. I haven't seen any comments on my config file patch though.

So, any comments on that patch?  Any requirements on a format?

1. Any option should be settable either in the config file or command line. In other words, the user should not be forced to use a config file. This is useful for management programs who keep all options in an internal database, and for users who can experiment via a ^P edit edit edit <enter>.

I think we should still provide the ability to set the most common options via the command line. I'm also fine with specifying single options on the command line. I suspect though that being able to do -config - is more useful for management tools than building large strings of command line options.

2. The %(blah)s syntax is a bit ugly. It's one of the few things in python I dislike. I'd prefer ${blah} and ${blah:modifier}.

Yeah, I've never liked their printf syntax. I was interested in interpolation, the syntax really doesn't matter to me. sh is probably a bit easier on the eyes.

3. It would be nice to be able to embed a config file in a qcow3 format so that one can ship an image with some default options in one file.

Yeah, definitely.

Regards,

Anthony Liguor