qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU/pc and scsi disks

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU/pc and scsi disks
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 13:44:14 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Avi,

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007, Avi Kivity wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:
I think we should still provide the ability to set the most common options via the command line. I'm also fine with specifying single options on the command line. I suspect though that being able to do -config - is more useful for management tools than building large strings of command line options.

Out of curiosity, why? If the options are store in some database, as is likely, surely it is easier to generate a longish command line than to generate a unique name for a file, remove it if it already exists, write out the data, launch qemu, and clean up the file later? And for migration, you have to regenerate it, since some options may have changed (cdrom media).

I think Anthony was suggesting that "-config -" would read the config from standard input, avoiding the need for any temporary file, and also avoiding any command-line length limits on any platforms (Win32 is unlikely to accept as much as Linux).

Cheers, Chris.
--