qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Intermittant linux kernel panic on arm

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Intermittant linux kernel panic on arm
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 19:05:27 -0500

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 1:14 pm, Quentin Barnes wrote:
> This is my first post to the list.  Hopefully, it will go well.
>
> I've been using the ARM qemu for Linux development for some basic
> work, but wanted to expand and do more with it.  I outgrew the
> initrd limitation and needed a disk.  Since I've been using a disk,
> I've been getting intermittant panics during the udevd phase of
> boot.  Once the system is up though, it's been stable.
>
> The panic occurs about 50%-75% the time.  I've had this problem on both
> 0.9.0 and the 2007-03-07_05 snapshot.  I've had this problem using both
> my own 2.6.19-1 ARM kernel made directly from kernel.org as well as
> Aurelien Jarno's 2.6.18 Debian ARM kernel at
> http://people.debian.org/~aurel32/arm-versatile/vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-versatile

The first thing I'd do is try to figure out what's udev doing to trigger this
panic?

>  r7 = 00000036  r6 = 00002285  r5 = FFFFFFF7  r4 = C0BA0D20
> [<c0089334>] (sys_ioctl+0x0/0x64) from [<c00228c0>]
(ret_fast_syscall+0x0/0x2c)

Is there any way you can figure out which ioctl this is?  Presumably udev read
something from /sys that told it to mknod something in /dev.  I'm not quite
sure where an ioctl comes into this...

If you could get a small C program that triggers the panic, and a
kernel .config you built your kernel with, that would be helpful.

Rob
--
Vista: Windows Millenium Second Edition