qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Latest SVN fails to build on Fedora Core 6 (same with 0

From: Thomas Orgis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Latest SVN fails to build on Fedora Core 6 (same with 0.9.0)
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:37:30 +0100

I'd like to add that with qemu 0.9.0 release it's the same problem,
that somehow seems to recurr from time to time (seen old similar
reports with older qemu release(s)) in helper.c.

We at SourceMage GNU/Linux got reports of failed builds with that error
that are apparently fixed by reducing -march cflag to pentium-mmx as
opposed to pentium2,3,4 or pentium-m as well as any athlon.
Any sse flags also seem to trigger this error.
qemu 0.8.6 built without probs with -march=pentium-m, for example (we
still use the same compiler gcc-3.4.6 for this).

There's a thread on the user forum, too:
http://qemu-forum.ipi.fi/viewtopic.php?p=10045#10045

Is there actually some policy on CFLAGS settings? I didn't find a FAQ
like "do not set any -march other than the most basic, qemu performance
is ruled by hand-crafted assembler anyway and -msse won't also not
help anything" .. should there be one?
I guess there is something hand-crafted fighting with gcc over
registers...

Thomas.