qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] block composite driver and partition driver

From: jbrown105
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] block composite driver and partition driver
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 05:26:56 -0000

>address@hidden wrote:
>>I've finally gotten around to working on my multipart driver again.
>
>Why?  I'm new to the list.  Can you elaborate what sorts of things this
>would be used for?  I haven't yet gotten around to writing my per device
>snapshot enablable/specifiable COW tmpfiles patch.  But your code, while
>I have no clue how it might be used, seems like it might interrelate
>with that (or if not, I'm still curious).
>
>-dmc

The composite driver lets you split one hard disk image into a bunch of
files.
For example you might wanna split a 100GB hard disk image into 10 images
for
the purpose of having faster backups (you only have to scan 10 GB
instead of
the full 100 GB).

The partition driver lets you use either raw hard disk partitions (such
as
/dev/hda1) or images of partitions directly by generating an MBR for it.

Neither of these is related to the snapshot feature that qcow provides.
I've
never heard of COW tmpfiles but if it is something similar, then my code
will not
be of much use to you.
--

  address@hidden