qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux 2.6 kernel on PPC

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux 2.6 kernel on PPC
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 15:28:52 -0400

On Thursday 22 March 2007 2:48 pm, Ed Swierk wrote:
> Has anyone succeeded in booting a Linux 2.6 kernel on Qemu PPC? If so,
> what distribution did you use?

I've never managed to boot a kernel I built.  A year ago I did manage to get
the Ubuntu 5.10 bootable CD to boot though.  (Of course the _install_ CD
refused to boot.  Possibly specifying a hard drive image as well as a CD
confused it.)

I couldn't get anything newer to boot.  Possibly it was because I upgraded
qemu?

Is -kernel expected to work with qemu-system-ppc?

I note that http://www.qemu.org/download.html has test images for sparc, arm,
mips, misel, and x86.  I can attest that x86-64 also works, and could provide
a test image if somebody wanted.

But they don't have a ppc test image, and I haven't managed to make one yet...

> Thanks,
> --Ed

Rob
--