qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Simtec BAST emulation

From: Daniel Silverstone
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Simtec BAST emulation
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 11:12:18 +0100

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 18:45 +0100, Paul Brook wrote:
> A few issues with the patch, which I think need to be resolved before it can
> be applied:
> - You're using global structures to store machine state.
> While it's debatable whether you'll ever have more than one s3c2410, I think
> it's definitely still worth allowing for this possibility, and encapsulating
> the state in a structure, like all the other hardware emulation does.

Right, I've basically decided that we're going to go with the OpenMoko
core emulation if it turns out to be sensible. However the global state
comment is a good one. It's one thing I wasn't quite happy with, but in
the end we did it for simplicity since having more than one s3c2410
would be strange.

> - For the device emulation (dm9000 and ide, maybe others) you should use
> pic_set_irq_new, instead of passing a separate set_irq function. Other ARM
> boards already support arbitrary routing of interrupts via hw/arm_pic.[ch].

Right, the interrupt controller on the S3C2410 didn't seem to fit with
the hw/arm_pic stuff, but yes, perhaps the separate set_irq stuff was a
touch heavy handed.

> - usb_ohci_mmap_init should look more like (or even be the same function as)
> usb_ohci_init_pxa.

Aha, I'd not spotted that, thanks.

> > The emulation is complete enough to start Simtec's ABLE boot loader
> > (downloadable from www.simtec.co.uk) and also is capable of being
> > direct-booted with a linux kernel/initrd combination as per the
> > versatile etc.
> What is the licence for ABLE? Would we be able to distribute it with qemu?

Unfortunately I don't think so. However I could ask my boss.

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                              http://www.simtec.co.uk/
PGP mail accepted and encouraged.            Key Id: 2BC8 4016 2068 7895