qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Accessing process ID in QEMU

From: André Braga
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Accessing process ID in QEMU
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 13:26:19 -0300

I guess you're mixing some concepts. A PID is a concept from the
operating system, not from the hardware, emulated or physical.

What you could do, however, is experiment with user-mode emulation.
Check out the QEMU documentation regarding how to use this mode.

You could conceivably mess with the operating system scheduler code to
emit every context switch to user-land and dump the PID of the current
process to the serial port, and have QEMU trap when certain
instructions are executed, and then you cross this information
yourself. But that just doesn't sound right, specially considering how
fast and often context switches happen.

OTOH, if you know where in memory the OS stores the current PID, you
could make QEMU trap on that instruction and then dump the memory
location of interest.

HTH,