qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-img qcow and raw format

From: Gildas
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-img qcow and raw format
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 11:17:08 +0100

Creating a temp file maybe?

Cheers,
Gildas

2007/4/12, Francois Visconte <address@hidden>:
Hello,

I'm currently developing an OS deployment tool similar to G4U (ghost for
unix).
This is a very basic tool
  - boot an initrd
  - configure network
  - ssh deployment-server "cat image.dd"  > /dev/sda
  - reboot

I'm using qemu to test my initrd and deployment tool and i would like
replace my raw image format with qcow images (size/compression and crypto)

  - ssh deployment-server "cat image.qcow" | qemu-img - -O raw /dev/sda

The problem is qemu-img can't read from stdin, so i tried :

  - mkfifo deploy-in.fifo
  - qemu-img convert deploy-in.fifo -O raw /dev/sda
  - ssh deployment-server "cat image.qcow" > deploy-in.fifo
    qemu-img: Could not open 'deploy-in.fifo'

Is there any way to achieve this goal ?

Cheers,
François Visconte