qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Detecting an assembly instruction in QEMU

From: Atif Hashmi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Detecting an assembly instruction in QEMU
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 15:33:36 -0500

HI Eduardo,

Thanks for you reply. I have update target-i386/translate.c as follows

if(modrm==0xC0)
    {
        stored_eip = pc_start - s->cs_base;
        gen_op_movl_AL_AL();
    }
    else if(modrm==0xDB)
    {
        gen_op_movl_BL_BL(stored_eip);
        gen_eob(s);
    }

target-i386/op.c contains the following.
void OPPROTO op_movl_AL_AL()
{
    helper_StartTransaction();
}
void OPPROTO op_movl_BL_BL()
{
    if(helper_CommitTransaction())
    {
        EIP = PARAM1;
    }
}

and helper.c looks like
void helper_StartTransaction()
{
    printf("StartTransaction Called\n");
}

unsigned char helper_CommitTransaction()
{
    static int i=0;
    printf("CommitTransaction Called\n");
    return 1;
}

Essentially, if we have a program like

int main()
{
       __asm_volatile("mov %al %al"); //is detected in translation.c and helper_StartTransaction is called
       printf("middle");
      __asm_volatile("mov %bl %bl"); //is detected in translation.c and helper_CommitTransaction is called
}

We should continuously print "middle" on the QEMU screen while "StartTransaction Called" and "End Transaction Called" for infinite amount of time.

But I get the following behaviour.
On QEMU screen, "middle" is printed once, and I get the following on the xterm
StartTransaction Called
CommitTransaction Called
StartTransaction Called

After that I get the QEMU prompt back and the program finishes. I still have not been able to figure it out why after calling helper_StartTransaction() for the seconds time the program does not continue? Is their anything else that we have not considered.

I will really appreciate your help.

Regards,
Atif